Let’s be honest, do we really want to think, or even know, how much disgusting bacteria are currently growing on, or colonizing on our kitchen sponges? EW.
Here are a few simple tips to keep your sponge clean and healthy to use;
1) At least every 2 days, fill your sponge up with water and microwave it for 1.5-2 minutes, this will boil the water in the sponge and kill the bacteria.
2) make sure you do not just leave your sponge in the bottom of the sink, or on the side, get some sort of sponge holder so that the sponge can dry out. The longer the sponge is moist, the more bacteria thrive.
3) If you are using a sponge for dishes, only use that sponge for dishes. This may seem a bit ocd, but it will cut down on the cleaning chemicals (you may use them on the counters, etc), and types of bacteria your sponge comes in contact with.
Hope this was a help to you!
P.S. If you are looking for a REALLY great sponge, that cuts away baked on and caked on, even burnt on stuff really easily, try the Lysol no scratch sponges, they are FANTASTIC! Plus, they are made so that it takes bacteria much longer to start to grow on them than a regular sponge. You can get a 4 pack for like $3 at Walmart.